2/6/2009 2:10:00 PM
Last Update: 2/6/2009 7:04:00 PM
Dogs to watch at Westminster Kennel Club show
Berks County, PA -
During a telephone press conference Thursday, Feb. 5, David Frei, dog show commentator and co-host of the 133rd Annual Westminister Kennel Club Dog Show television broadcast, gave some hints on which dogs to watch during the action on Monday and Tuesday.
The first dog Frei mentioned as one to watch is Spirit, a giant Schnauzer, who was born in western Pennsylvania
on Jan. 11, 2005, and now is based in California with her trainers. Ch. Galilee’s Pure Of Spirit, her full name, was the top scoring dog in 2008 for the American Kennel Club. She earned 71 Best in Show titles
and amassed nearly 120,000 points. She is owned by Mary Hayes, Joe Sanchez and Carla Sanchez and handled by Taffee McFadden.
Among the other dogs Frei said to watch were:
- Charmin the Sealyham terrier (Ch. Efbe's Hidalgo at Goodspice). He's the top terrier in the country based on 2008 standings and lives right here in Pennsylvania -- Cochranville, Chester County to be exact -- and is owned by Margery and Richard Good and Sandra Middlebrooks. You can see Margery Good in Eukanuba dog food commercials, frequently shown on Animal Planet.
Top Dog Breeder Margery Good and Champion Charmin in a candid interview about what it takes to win! Video
- Sadie the Scottish Terrier (Ch. Roundtown Mercedes of Maryscot) owned by Amelia Musser.
- Lincoln the Brussels griffon (Ch. Cilleine Masquerade), who has a unique smooth coat, is owned by Anne and Harlowe Jahelka of Monterey, Tenn., and shown by Paul Catterson of Cameron, Missouri.
- Taser the affenpinscher (Ch. Tamarin Tug) is owned by Phil and Patty Smith and handled by Jorge and Susie Olivera of Arizona.
- Yes the standard poodle (Ch. Randenn Tristar Affirmation) owned by Toni and Martin Sosnoff and shown by Tim Brazier.
- Carly the Pembroke Welsh corgi (Ch. Coventry Vanity Fair) owned and handled by Bill Shelton and also co-owned by Deborah Sallow, Kerry Kirtley and Kevin Foist.
Holly (Ch. Cookieland Seasyde Hollyberry
) the pointer, the winner of the National Dog Show, which was held here in Berks County at the Greater Reading Expo Center, won't be competing because her owners are members of the Westminster Kennel Club Frei explained.
|©2009 Reading Eagle Company|